I could honestly eat tacos, nachos, taco bowls, or burritos for every meal! Especially since they’ve come out with grain-free options like the brand Siete. I’ve heard that Whole Foods has a rivaling version of the grain free tortilla that I definitely need to try.
What I love about this dish is how easy it comes together. While the quinoa cooks, you make everything else, then simply throw it all in a bowl and eat! This can also be refrigerated or frozen for future use.
As mentioned in the recipe, I’ve linked the taco seasoning that I love to use below. It’s organic and the ingredients are pretty clean, plus the flavor is just amazing!
Black Bean Quinoa Taco Bowl
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning I used Simply Organic taco seasoning (link above)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese I used Violife vegan cheese
- 4 cups romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 2 cups kale optional*
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa of choice
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup tortilla chips of choice I used Siete grain free cassava chips!
- First, cook quinoa as directed on package (I usually do 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water)
- While the quinoa cooks, heat skillet on medium, add olive oil and saute onions until fragrant
- Add black beans to skillet and mix around with onion
- Next, add in taco seasoning and 1 tbsp water, continue mixing in skillet for another 2-3 minutes then turn heat off and set aside
- If you wish to include kale in this meal, using a separate skillet, heat on medium/low, add 1 tbsp olive oil, and add the kale. Stir in around the skillet until leaves darken and start to crisp up (about 3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the quinoa is done, transfer 1 cup cooked quinoa to skillet and mix with beans
- Return skillet to the stove on low heat, add 1 cup cheese, cover with lid and let mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat keeping lid on
- While you wait for the cheese to melt, prep the taco bowl by adding the lettuce and kale to a clean bowl
- Next, top with quinoa black bean mixture, pico de gallo or salsa of choice, cilantro, and any other toppings you desire then enjoy immediately!